Low Water Landscapes
California: Running Dry
LANDSCAPE WATER USE CONSERVATION METHODS
There are many methods that can reduce the amount of water used in a landscape and still maintain the health, appearance and function of the landscape. Here are just a few:
- Water-efficient landscape designs using low water-use plants
- Efficient irrigation systems
- Minimized turf areas
- Soil improvements and mulch
- Regular maintenance of irrigation systems
- Regular adjustment of irrigation controllers
- Scheduling irrigation during early or late hours
- Water budgeting using evapotranspiration data from CIMIS and crop coefficients from “WUCOLS” – Water Use Classification of Landscape Species
- Dedicated landscape water meters for monitoring of water budget and leak detection
- Conformance to local or the State Water Efficient Landscape Ordinance
- Education of residents, customers and employees regarding the importance of efficient water use.
- Coordinate efforts with local water agency for incentives, rebates and planning programs.